The Solent Academies Trust is an exempt charity overseen by the Secretary of State for Education.
The main documents that set out how we operate are our articles of association, which set our internal structure, and the master funding agreement, which is the legal contract with the Secretary of State under which we run our schools. In addition, there are separate supplemental funding agreements for each individual school.
We are also governed by the Department for Education's Academies Financial Handbook and various pieces of legislation relating to both schools and charities
Our governance structures
Our formal structures are designed to give robust oversight and management of our academies, without unnecessarily restricting innovation. The structure includes Members, Trustees and an Academy Governing Board for each school.
Formulation of strategy and day to day operations are delegated to the Executive Headteacher, Sharon Burt. She is supported by our Heads of School and our central team.
Parental opinion is gathered through elected parent governors. All the schools operate a school council to encourage pupils to take an active part in their own education.
The schools 'can do' and creative attitude is both refreshing and infectious. This is truly an outstanding school that wants the absolute best for all of the pupils across Portsmouth. I am constantly blown away by the achievements of our school and am immensely proud to say that I work here.
- Formally agreeing to the Trust's founding Articles of Association and any subsequent amendments to these.
- Appointing and dismissing trustees.
- Ensuring that the charitable objectives of the Academy Trust are carried out.
- Receiving the audit accounts, together with an annual report on the performance of the Trust from the trustees.
Articles of association
AGM and when necessary.
Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees includes six Trustees appointed by the Members, the Executive Headteacher and three Trustees co-opted by the Board of Trustees.
The Board of Trustees is responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction for the Trust.
- Holding the executive to account for the educational performance of the Trust’s academies and their pupils and the appraisal of their staff.
- Overseeing the financial performance of the Trust and making sure its money is well spent.
The Board of Trustees is accountable for the following:
- Approving an annual Trust strategic plan and annual Trust budget.
- Compliance with the provisions of the funding agreements and Academies Financial Handbook.
- Determination of the Trust's human resource policies and procedures and terms and conditions of service.
- Appointment of the internal auditor for the Trust and recommendation of an external auditor for formal appointment by the Members. Monitoring of the effectiveness of the external audit process.
- Risk management.
- Annual approval the audited accounts and a report on the overall performance of the Trust.
- Determination of the admissions policy and procedures for each academy in accordance with admissions law and Department for Education’s (DfE) codes of practice and the SEND Code of Practice.
- Determination of the vision of the Trust and each academy in consultation with the Local Governing Bodies.
- Appointment of the Chair and Vice Chair of each Local Governing Body within the Trust.
- Undertaking an annual review of the Board's overall effectiveness, including an assessment of trustees' development needs and a skills audit.
- Reviewing the Trust's Scheme of Delegation on an annual basis.
Reports to members on progress for the year
Produces financial statements and annual report
Articles of Association
Minimum of four meetings per year